Corte Madera Chronicles

A group blog; a place to share photos, thoughts, stupid shit we find on the internet, whatever. Hopefully we'll get at least one post per day from someone, and not so many posts that it's too overwhelming. Have fun!

Friday, July 08, 2005

What will America be Like in 5 Years?

so i was nearly arrested today for taking pictures while on the BART train from oakland to berkeley. i'm always taking pictures these days with my little canon quickshot camera, and some of them happen to have been while i was on the bart train - most in fact were me making stupid faces, or shots of my shoes or the view out the window.

but when i got off I was accosted by 5 large BART police who questioned me and asked for my "papers." i got a great reaction when i asked the legitimate question - whether it was "illegal" or not to take pictures on the bart train. it seems even asking what is now legal or not is taken as "copping an attitude".

i understand there was just a terrorist attack on a public transporation system the other day, but i didn't realize taking pictures was now probable cause. and the worst part about the whole thing is that apparently "six" different passengers reported the suspicious picture taking. i was turned in by my fellow americans - none of whom would have looked the part of the hysterical patriot, with the office of homeland security on the speed dial.

i can hear george orwell snickering now...

what will America be like in 5 years? because I sure as hell wouldn't have thought 5 years ago, that I'd be stopped for snapping off a couple of photos on my way to lunch with a friend...

4 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Lorrimer said...

Didja get any photos of the cops?

Post 'em here.

And yeah, this is fucked.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Zachary said...

i contemplated asking them... but i think one of them was looking for an excuse to arrest me... so i thought better of spending my weekend in jail... they can hold you for 72 hours without charging you...

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger shakescene said...

5 years. are you nuts? we've been living in oceana at least since the end of WWII.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Dude, you're totally a terrorist, are you kidding? You're all big and shit, you have that suspicious looking ipod attached to your head. I've concidered calling in the homeland squad on your ass at least a dozen times. (note: I was not responsible for this one though. I was definately NOT the guy sitting two rows behind you and to the left. Nope. Definately not me.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home